Horizon T101 is an absolute crowd favorite. Voted by Good Housekeeping Institute as the Value Buy among all treadmills and even by Treadmill Doctor, it naturally caught my attention. Besides, I have already had the chance of working with three T101 treadmills and couple of T202 models too. For this review, I am using my collective experience with each individual unit.
To begin with, it has a decent motor with 2.3 HP continuous power, which is surprisingly punchy as it easily powers the deck up to 10mph without breaking a sweat. The motor also powers the inclination settings, which goes up to 10 degrees maximum. There are total of 30 workout programs that you can choose from or set based on calories, time and heart rate. For the latter the pulse monitors reside on tiny handles protruding from the console itself. They are quick so few seconds is all you need between walks or runs to gauge your heart rate. I found them accurate enough for basic usage.
I remember the deck being different. Instead of having even cushioning it actually has a softer front and stiffer back, this feels awkward at first but you soon realize it helps juicing out an extra mile or two.
My Horizon T101 Treadmill Review
- Assembly - 8/108/10
- Features - 8/108/10
- Ease Of Use - 10/1010/10
- Build Quality - 7/107/10
- Portable - 8/108/10
Everything you find in a commercial treadmill at less than half the price!
I think for the third treadmill, we have to wait over a month as it was backordered. The Horizon T101 is a hot commodity, online and otherwise. You may have to wait for your particular model and besides, shipping might take time no matter how you get yours. Also, all three T101s came with some minor damage or the other. The packaging was fine but it could do with more padding and protection. As long as no component is destroyed or cracked beyond usage, you need not ask for a replacement. In fact, there is a good chance that the replacement has more damage than your current unit!
That’s the only major downside to purchasing a Horizon T101 treadmill. It comes with some amount of residual damage but beyond that there’s nothing to complain about the T101. Customer service has always been a treat with Horizon. Their representatives are patient and tend to compensate you when they are unable to send out replacement parts of help you. Hasn’t happened with me personally ever though.
Speaking of assembly, there are just four components that you need to put together. This is an easy process but beware the entire package is quite heavy. If you can, pay your delivery guy to help bring it into your home. Place it where you intend to leave it for the rest of its existence before you begin assembly. It should not take more than an hour to finish.
Once assembled, use the included lubrication bottle and use it completely to properly lube the deck and underlying mechanism up. This is vital to ensure silent operations not just immediately but for the future. I make it a point to lubricate the deck every 200 miles you cover. Don’t go by the usage duration with treadmills.
The main console is not huge neither too complicated. It has bare minimum controls such as speed, incline quick change buttons plus increase and decrease buttons. There’s the center display that shows you all necessary readings including calories, weight, distance, time and previous data. Yes, this treadmill stores all data readings to give you a comprehensive understanding of your progress.
The Horizon T101 treadmill feels quite similar to the Lifespan TR 1200i treadmills at your fitness center and that’s a really big thing considering it costs nearly $300 less. No wonder, it is almost always sold out. No worries though, because you can backorder even on Amazon. The deck is sturdy, never feels underwhelming and the operation is flawless. No reason not to buy this treadmill.
Horizon T101 Gallery
Horizon T101 Pros & Cons
Horizon T101 Treadmill Best Features
- Silent Power – The T101 from Horizon has a 2.3 continuous horse power motor, which is surprisingly powerful and yet quiet at the same time. As long as you keep the unit lubricated, it should serve you a really long time.
- Fitness Center Quality – The treadmill deck never wobbles even at 10mph, which happens to be its maximum speed setting. Neither does it creak when changing inclinations.
- Impressive Console – Everything you will ever need in terms of readings or controls is available on this treadmill. Its console displays calories, weight, speed, distance, averages and a lot more things. It also has a heart rate sensor built into the console quick control handles.
- Easy To Assemble – While this treadmill does not come preassembled from the factory, it only has four components that need to go together. One hour and a few screws is all it needs to stand on its own.
- Decent Customer Care – I had to speak with customer service only once in the past. I remember it being pleasant and the representative being helpful. Others say the same about Horizon customer care and their nature to compensate for damages.
- Well Priced – If you can get this treadmill for less than $600, get it immediately. The T101, T202 and T303 are in hot demand but the T101 for its price is often backordered.
Horizon T101 Conclusion
In hot demand, the Horizon T101 is an excellent home use treadmill. In fact, in my opinion this is the best treadmill money can buy if you don’t have a lot of it. The T101 feels a whole lot like the treadmills in fitness centers and its performance speaks of the same. I see no reason why you won’t feel satisfied with this particular unit.
Ample workout options, a detailed console with an amazing warranty service contract from Horizon – you really can’t ask for anything more. The deck feels sturdy, no wobbles, lower noise levels and quick assembly are all the more reasons to get the Horizon T101 treadmill.